Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 1

When I think of Germany, typically the first images that jump into my head are old, stylized woodcuts. Generally with scary looking old ladies. Going a little deeper, I can recall my visual marker of "witches" matches up with Germany. Old ladies, hooked nose, kerchief on the head, and a stoop to the back and shoulders. That's what happens when you start forming your first images in a place in the Black Forest of Germany. I've got that nifty little bit of Gothic streaking through my makeup. As I think of it a bit, it may be why I have problems with American horror flicks/monster movies. In America, a lot of that stuff is presented as fiction.

In Germany it's interwoven in such a way that it's real. So for me, the ghosts, goblins and spookums are real and viable things. I mean you knew that if you went wandering into the forrest, the wolves would eat you. Germany fairy tales have some seriously nasty little buggers in them.

Which gets me thinking about an old German book which used to scare the tar out of me...I might see if either Dad or Mom can recall what it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment