Monday, May 10, 2010

Now we have a little momentum going. The passport application is done and off. I was looking through it before I sent the old one off. I found the stamps for my trip to Australia. I also found an entry stamp- September 19, 2001.

I was in Canada, Ottawa to be precise when 9/11 hit. I was there training the people who were getting set to take my job. I still recall someone sticking their head into the office where I was sitting and saying, "excuse me, but I think your country is under attack."

Typical Canadian. Polite to a fault.

We didn't have good television, and streaming media was in it's infancy. You could see the still pictures, and get vague reports. The Pentagon was hit, no it was the State Deparment, no the White House. I remember going to a local bar to get lunch and watch the feed from CNN. There's wasn't much else to do.

There was some mild confusion in getting ahold of the assorted family members. Once everyone was accounted for, there was nothing else to do. I didn't want to go back to the hotel. Thankfully, one of the guys on the team was kind enough to invite me over to his place for dinner so I wouldn't be totally alone.

Like many Americans who were trapped in Canada, I'll never forget the kindness and grace those people shared. I got so many words of kindness while I was there. An amazing set of memories.

Once I got the passport off, I switched over to hotel research mode. Venice is a tourist trap, and expensive. I'm perfectly content with staying at places with "character." Mom not so much.:) So it's been an afternoon of whipping through guide books and running prices. The Euro is shifting, so I have a feeling that prices are going to drop over the next few weeks. Most excellent for trip planning.

I fired off the ideas to mom. I've got my personal favorite, which is the Locanda Casa Querini, which looks like a great little slightly off path choice. I also gave her some info on staying at convents as an option. So we will see what she comes up with.

Dangit, I'm so busy I haven't gotten my workout in either. Must fix. And have programs that need sending off. I need more day!

No comments:

Post a Comment